Asian Sriracha Chicken Nachos
I had this idea rolling around in my head of some Asian style nachos. I thought it would be SO awesome … and I knew just how I wanted to do them. Flour tortilla chips, shredded teriyaki chicken, a bit of chopped celery and/or water chestnuts (for extra crunch), matchstick carrots (for both color and crunch) and a bunch of melty cheese with hot Sriracha sauce and green onions on top … oh that sounded SO perfect! I jotted it down in my portable Notes on my phone and carried it around with me, waiting for an opportunity to make it happen.
You see, sometimes when I make my easy honey teriyaki chicken for my (nigh adult) children, there is some chicken left over. Then I find myself wondering what to do with this leftover chicken because my kids very very very rarely eat leftovers, and I do so hate to let good chicken go to waste.
Well it just so happened that we had some leftover chicken in my fridge this weekend. We’ve taken to shredding the chicken rather than making chunks because the shredded stuff soaks up the sauce so much better (and no need to thicken the sauce then, either), which makes it even more perfect for nachos! I also happened to have some leftover tortillas from a Qdoba lunch at work, so I fried the tortillas up (or you could bake them!), then piled on the nacho toppings and baked my nachos to melted cheesy perfection … oooh they were soooo good! The crunchy matchstick carrots really make the dish–their crunch and color are SO perfect with the spicy sauce, chicken and cheese. As an afterthought, I dreamed of adding cilantro and/or chopped peanuts, but really, these nachos are amazing just … like … this.
- Several small flour tortillas
- Canola or peanut oil, for frying - or nonstick cooking spray
- Easy Honey Teriyaki Chicken, shredded (recipe here)
- Chopped celery and/or water chestnuts
- Shredded pepper jack cheese (preferably habanero jack)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Finely chopped hot peppers
- Matchstick carrots
- Green onion, snipped
- Celery leaves, chopped, and/or cilantro
- To make the chips: cut small tortillas into fourths and fry in the oil until lightly brown and crisp, then sprinkle lightly with salt ... or spray with cooking spray on both sides and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake at 400 F until lightly browned and crisp.
- Prepare the chicken, but leave the chicken whole and as it cooks, bash it with a spatula until it starts to fall apart. Add about half the sauce (no cornstarch) and continue bashing the chicken until it's cooked through. Remove from heat and shred with two forks, adding more sauce if needed. Save the rest of the sauce for next time.
- To make the nachos: preheat the oven to 350 F. Arrange chips to cover a baking sheet or oven-safe plate, sprinkle with shredded chicken, then with the celery and/or water chestnuts, then top with the cheeses and chopped hot pepper. Bake at 350 F. for 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted, then top with matchstick carrots, green onions, celery leaves or cilantro and a good drizzle of Sriracha. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.