Bacon Cheddar Zucchini Tots
Adapted from The Two Bite Club
I’ve had this zucchini tots recipe from The Two Bite Club saved away for ages it seems, just waiting for zucchini season. It was so hard to wait! I know, I really could have bought zucchini and made it … I have been buying zucchini when I don’t have fresh garden zucchini, but this recipe, I guess I wasn’t ready to try it with store-bought zucchini. This recipe just needed to wait for that time when real garden zucchini is oh so abundant and you find yourself running out of creative ways to use it.
I love savory little bites like this … tasty little finger foods I can pop in my mouth while I’m doing other things. The original recipe sounded great, but something told me it needed a little bacon. And then I found a bit of red pepper in my fridge that wanted to join in. My little zucchini tots turned out not only great tasting, but really pretty too, a gorgeous golden orange color with little specks of green, red, and purple (from the red onion). I had just enough to make 12 tots. I’m thinking I should really get another mini muffin tin so I can more more “tots” at a time. They are scrumptious little bites! I love to eat them for breakfast or just snack on them as I’m piddling about in the house.
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 slice lean bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (whole wheat or gluten free breadcrumbs are fine)
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Put the zucchini into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze the excess juice out of it. Put the zucchini in a small mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to mix well. Season to taste with Red Robin Seasoning & pepper.
- Divide the mixture amongst the 12 mini muffin spots. Press down with a spoon on each one to compact it and help it stick together better.
- Bake at 400 F. for about 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for about 5 minutes before releasing from the pan. Use a knife to loosen the edges and gently pop the tots out of the pan. These are best served warm and fresh from the oven, but they are still good at room temp or they can be refrigerated in an airtight container, then reheated in the microwave.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.