Bacon Mushroom Zucchini Fried Rice
Bacon-y goodness comes to fried rice, with hearty mushrooms and zucchini, carrots and red onion, and, of course, copious amounts of scrambled eggs. It’s an irresistable combination to anyone who loves fried rice. (Do you know anyone who doesn’t love fried rice? I don’t think I do …)
The idea of bacon fried rice came to me from Jason, a friend/coworker that is one of the contributors to our monthly appreciation breakfast. He is the one who is always assigned to bring the bacon. He does it well, too … fries it perfectly crisp and into just the right size chunks for our purposes.
One day I got into a conversation with Jason about bacon and he told me about his boys’ obsession with bacon and how they just love when he makes bacon fried rice for dinner.
Wait a minute … did you say “BACON FRIED RICE”? … for some reason, the thought of bacon fried rice just blew my mind. There are, every once in a while, fabulous taste combinations that come to me from random conversations that I never expected to happen. I never would have dreamed of putting such things together (like bacon & fried rice), but once I hear the idea, I recognized the brilliance of it. This was one of THOSE kinds of conversations.
Soooo I filed away this enticing “bacon fried rice” idea in the “must try” space in my brain for later … and then, months later, I found myself with leftover bacon from an event at work, plus a large bag full of fresh chanterelle mushrooms from my dad … AND yes, some beautiful Italian zucchini from mom and dad’s garden too. Oh, and on top of that, there was leftover rice from when my son requested kid fried rice for dinner, but his sister wasn’t on board with the idea. You see, together they completely demolish a batch of rice, but if I’m cooking for just one of them, then I have half a batch of rice to play with.
All of these things came together, conspiringly, and they found that bacon fried rice idea in the back of my mind and they rolled it out in front of me and they whispered to me “it’s time” … and so I made the bacon fried rice. Not quite how Jason would make it … but this is how I make bacon fried rice. And it was delicious. I scarfed it down like I had been starved for months … and I have to thank Jason for this one.
- 4 eggs, whisked, with 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups chopped chanterelle mushrooms
- An 8 or 9-inch zucchini, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 - 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 - 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice (I like to use basmati rice)
- A splash of soy sauce (to taste)
- Snipped green onion, for the top
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or rub a little bit of butter over the bottom of the pan, then, when the pan is hot, add the eggs. Scramble the eggs very briefly until they are mostly done, but still very very wet. Immediately remove the eggs from the pan and from heat.
- Now, in a saute pan or wok, add the oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Put the garlic and onion in the pan and saute until the onion is soft, then add the mushrooms, zucchini and carrots and cook until they are tender. Stir in the rice and cook and stir for a few minutes to "fry" the rice, adding a splash of soy sauce after a couple minutes and cooking a bit longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the scrambled eggs, chopping and stirring to mix them in well, and adding soy sauce as you like, to taste. Serve hot, with snipped green onions for garnish.
For a gluten free recipe, use gluten-free soy sauce.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.