Baked Brie with Figs, Pistachios & Walnuts
Adapted from The Mediterranean Dish
I’ve always dreamed of making a fancy baked brie piled high with lots of sweet fruity jam, fruits and nuts. Really, I’m not sure what was holding me back other than I needed an occasion to take it to … you don’t really want to bake up a big ol’ round of brie for yourself at home.
But I found an event that was just perfect for this little touch of something special … one of my Wednesday night yoga sisters (Jan) got a new job. She is moving away from us, but not TOO far (only an hour or so), so she will still be able to join us for yoga sometimes. We were all teary eyed when we heard the news, but she assured us that this is not “goodbye” … this is “wishing Jan good luck with her new job.” We had to have a party, but it’s not a goodbye party, Jan insisted. So I made this for our “good luck with your new job” party …
There is special significance to this recipe. Jan was the one who introduced me to the world of fresh figs … she bought a bunch of fresh figs from Costco, and had some left and didn’t know what she would do with them, so she gave them to me. I treasured every one of those precious fresh figs from Jan, and was so jealous of her that she had such easy access to these treasures! I finally broke down and got my OWN membership to Costco, so I can buy figs all by myself, and so I did. But I still remember that first taste of a fresh fig thanks to the kindness and thoughtfulness of my sweet friend Jan. We’ve shared so much with Jan … both laughter and tears, lots of hugs, good conversation, and yoga.
And when I brought this lovely melty brie to Jan’s “new job” party, she remembered and smiled. Fresh figs will forever remind me of my awesome librarian friend. The best part is it’s SUPER simple to make … and your guests will love it.
- 1/4 cup (or more) of Raspberry Fig Jam (recipe here) or other fig or raspberry jam
- 3 - 4 fresh figs, chopped, stems removed
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped & toasted
- 1/3 cup roasted, shelled pistachios
- A 3-oz. round of brie cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Put the jam in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 second or so to warm it. Put the brie on an oven-safe plate or dish and spread it with half the jam.
- In a small bowl, toss the figs, walnuts & pistachios with the rest of the jam. Place this nutty mixture on top of the brie.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so or until the cheese is melty and starts to ooze. Enjoy with crackers!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.