Baked Eggs in Bacon Zucchini Nests
Spiralized zucchini sauteed with onion and garlic makes a lovely “nest” for a baked egg. With a little cheese and some bacon, it’s a delightful breakfast.
It was Saturday morning, the morning I have my 8:30 yoga class. Sometimes 8:30 seems awfully early for a yoga class on Saturdays, but I’ve grown accustomed to it. But this Saturday, I woke up early, excited for the weekend since we were going to my parents’ place to celebrate Easter with my family. AFTER yoga. My family knows I’ve gotta get my yoga in first!
Since I was up early, I had time to bake a dessert to take along … and once that was in the oven, to make myself a healthy breakfast, too. I looked in my veggie drawer and spied the 3 large zucchini I just couldn’t pass up last time I was at Aldi. A great opportunity to play with my spiralizer that was still sitting on my counter, waiting for me to either get out the ladder or talk my tall son into tucking it away into its little home on top of my cupboards … or maybe use it again before I put it away. (Yes, the cupboards are full so a few things have to “live” atop them.)
I devoured this when I pulled it from the oven … it tasted mighty good, just right for a pre-workout breakfast. I congratulated myself on my choice of breakfasts … I got my protein AND my veggies in and felt geared up and ready to face the day.
If you’re looking for a good spiralizer, here’s the one I have and I love it: Paderno Spiralizer. (Actually have the 3-blade one, but I’m pondering getting the 4-blade one.)
- 1 medium/large zucchini (about 12 inches)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/2 of an onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) and Trader Joe's 21-Seasoning Salute (or other salt-free seasoning mix such as Mrs. Dash)
- A bit of shredded Italian cheese (optional)
- 2 - 4 eggs
- 1 - 2 slices of lean bacon, fried and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Using a spiralizer, make small zucchini noodles (zoodles).
- Heat the avocado oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the zoodles are tender, sprinkling liberally with seasonings as you cook.
- Pour the zoodles out onto a clean kitchen towel, covering them with towel and pressing down to squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Arrange the zoodles into nest shapes in two oven-safe bowls, sprinkle with a bit of Italian cheese, then crack an egg (or two) into the center of each bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and season the eggs with seasonings. Bake at 350 F. for about 20 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Carefully remove the bowls from the oven, set the bowls on plates and enjoy!
If you don't have a spiralizer, you can use a grater to shred the zucchini.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2017, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.