Beefy Dijon White Cheddar Dip
A wonderful creamy hot & beefy cheese dip with a flavor boost from gourmet Dijon mustard. It’s surprisingly healthy and high in protein too, with lean meat, onions, garlic, a goodly amount of nonfat Greek yogurt, sundried tomatoes, some sharp white cheddar cheese and a few red pepper flakes. You don’t need to feel guilty about eating it.
It wasn’t long ago that Maille, the 265-year-old French mustard company, contacted me and asked if I’d like to sample their products. I love a good mustard, so of course I said yes. The other day I came home from work and there was a box sitting on the kitchen table. My kids were curious what it was, but they hadn’t opened it. I took one look at the package and said happily, “I know what THIS is!”
My son was happy to open the package and showcase the contents to me, which I oohed and aahed over. I just had to open one right away and try it. Have I mentioned I really love a good mustard?
What goes with mustard? Beef is the first thing that came to my mind, and I just happened to have some ground beef (er, venison) thawed already and ready for cooking. I opened up my new treasure, decided on the horseradish dijon to start with, and got to work creating. I love the mustard, I love the way the dip turned out … and I can’t help but thinking this would be the perfect dip for a superbowl party! Stick it in a little crockpot and turn em loose. They’re gonna love it. Especially if you do happen to have a bit of Maille mustard on hand. It is an EXCELLENT gourmet mustard, with a perfectly delicate texture and oh-so-perfect mustard taste. I love how the horseradish dijon has a slight subtle bite to it, but the horseradish doesn’t overpower the mustard. (And did you know that Antoine Maille used to be the mustard-maker to the kings of France?)
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef (or venison or elk ... I used venison)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 - 4 green onion tops, chopped
- 2 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (I used Maille Dijon Mustard with Horseradish)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons chopped sundried tomato
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, brown the meat, stirring as it cooks to break it into little bits. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent. Stir in the yogurt, green onion tops, cheese, mustard, sundried tomato and red pepper flakes and cook for just a few minutes more until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with bagel chips, vegie chips, fresh vegies, toasted french baguette rounds, or crackers. Keep it warm in a mini-crockpot if you like. Garnish with snipped green onion or chives.
You can make the dip ahead of time and warm it up at serving time. It would make a perfect crockpot dip!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.