Breakfast Nachos Supreme
Nachos for breakfast! Now THIS is an amazing way to start a day. Breakfast nachos are something I have been wanting to try for a while … and I don’t know exactly why I haven’t. The other day the subject came up at work and we decided we need to make these for our monthly breakfast. We’ve been doing monthly breakfast burrito events for a looooong time now and, while they are always delicious, I’m getting a little bored with cooking up the same old thing. So I’m really psyched to make THESE babies for the team!
Of course, before we go make breakfast nachos at work, I had to do a trial run … I used my cast iron pan and baked them, but you could do them in any pan, really, or a large cookie sheet if you have a crowd to feed. You could even assemble them on a plate and microwave them (which is what I’ll have to do at work). I was out of bacon, so my nachos just had breakfast sausage on them, but they’d be even better with bacon! Because, you know, everything’s better with bacon … right?
This isn’t so much a recipe as it is a general guideline–something to give you a little breakfast inspiration. You can leave off anything you don’t like and add on whatever your heart desires. I scrambled 2 eggs and cooked up about 1/8 lb. of sausage for this recipe and I personally could barely make a dent in these. This is a breakfast that you’re definitely going to want to share with friends. It’s filling! And oh soooo wonderful. Come to mama, you beautiful little chipful …
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped sweet onion
- Black or pinto beans, cooked, drained
- Shredded Mexican blend of cheeses
- Scrambled eggs
- Cooked breakfast sausage and/or bacon
- Sweet corn, frozen/thawed (or cooked)
- Jalapeno slices
- For the top: Fresh cilantro, avocado, tomatoes
- Serve with: your favorite salsa or guacamole
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cover the bottom of your pan with tortilla chips, sprinkle with onion, beans and cheese, then add scrambled eggs, bacon and/or sausage, and corn. Top with a bit more cheese and some jalapeno slices.
- If you want, repeat to make a second layer of nachos. Bake at 400 for about 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese is good and melty. Top with cilantro and/or avocado and/or chopped tomato and enjoy with your favorite salsa and/or guacamole!
This recipe is gluten free if you use gluten free chips. Most tortilla chips are gluten free, but be sure to check the label if you're gluten intolerant.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.