Broccoli Cheddar Rice Cups
Adapted very slightly from The Fountain Avenue Kitchen
I almost want to apologize for that sugar binge I sent us on … it was a very sugar-y December for me. Luckily I had lots of help to eat it all! It’s time to slow down on sugar, though, and think about staying healthy for the new year. I know, New Year’s Eve isn’t here quite yet, so there’ll be a little decadence for that, but then it will be time to think healthy again (aside from my birthday! that’s coming up soon too).
This little treasure was a recipe I chanced upon one Saturday from my good friend Ann at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen. I had just come home from yoga and I was STARVING. I needed something healthy, quick and easy. I saw this and thought: I have leftover rice in my fridge, broccoli in my freezer and eggs and cheese. That is all I need and I can get some good, healthy food in my bod!
It worked like a charm (of course! All her recipes always do!) and before long I was happily munching away on some hot little Broccoli Cheddar Rice Cups. They’re well-balanced too! Protein, vegetables, (healthy) carbs and dairy all in one nice little portable bite. I used Basmati rice because that’s what we’re into here at my house, but you could use whatever type of rice strikes your fancy.
- About 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- About 2 cups pre-cooked leftover rice (I used Basmati)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Red Robin Seasoning
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Put the broccoli in a medium microwave safe mixing bowl, cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, then cover and microwave another minute. If the broccoli is fully thawed at this point, stop. If not, stir and put it back in for another minute in the microwave. Use a clean tea towel to squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Add the rice to the bowl and, if the rice is cold, microwave for a couple minutes to warm it up, stopping to stir everything together and make sure everything gets nice and warm. If the rice is already hot, just add it to the bowl and stir it into the broccoli. Add the shredded cheese and stir to mix. The cheese should start to melt a bit and hold the rice mixture together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the seasoning and pepper until well beaten. Pour the eggs into the broccoli mixture and stir to mix.
- Scoop into the prepared muffin tin, dividing the mixture relatively evenly between the 12 spots. Sprinkle each one with a little more cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and the rice starts to get a little crunchy. Enjoy while they're hot!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.