Buffalo Chicken & Broccoli Grilled Cheese
Does it ever happen to you that you get so busy doing ridiculous things like hosting a virtual party on facebook or editing photos or perusing Pinterest or running your kids to their various appointments that you forget to do something really basic like feeding yourself? Yeah, that happens to me more than I’d like to admit. It’s ridiculous, really. Here I am, a food blogger who can’t even remember to eat. Yes, it happens even to those of us who endlessly obsess over food.
I can’t remember exactly the circumstances under which I found myself starving the other day, but it was one of those silly reasons that totally didn’t need to keep me from eating. I remember I found myself digging frantically through the fridge, trying to find something quick and easy to quell the now-very-urgent hunger in my belly. If I waited too long, I knew I would get faint and weak, and I could feel that coming on. I needed to take action quickly before I got to that point.
I found some leftover chicken, remembered I had frozen broccoli in the fridge and then, somehow, the Frank’s Buffalo Sauce in the back of my fridge started talking to me. I took a quick visit to the cheese drawer where the Havarti practically leaped out into my hand, but the blue cheese cowered in the corner. I had a hard time coaxing it out, but I had to have it. What is buffalo chicken without blue cheese.
It only took a few minutes to thaw the broccoli in the microwave, warm the chicken, toss it all with buffalo sauce and grill it up into a sandwich, and then my tastebuds and tummy were so happy. One of the sandwich quarters never made it to the photos, ’cause, you know, I needed to EAT!
- 1/4 cup chopped hot cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped hot cooked broccoli
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons buffalo sauce
- A bit of crumbled blue cheese
- Several slices of havarti cheese
- 2 thin slices of white whole wheat bread (recipe here, or sub your favorite whole-grain bread)
- Light butter spread (trans-fat free)
- Mix the chopped chicken with the broccoli, buffalo sauce and blue cheese.
- Spread the bottom side of one slice of bread with butter and set it in your frying pan while it's still cool. Cover the bread with a layer of cheese slices, then spread a layer of the chicken/broccoli mixture over top. Top with the other slice of bread and butter the top of it.
- Cover the pan and put it on the burner over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, reduce the heat to medium low. Let cook, checking frequently, until the bottom slice of bread is nicely browned and toasted and the cheese is starting to get melty.
- Flip the sandwich with a spatula, cover and let the other side get nice and toasty brown. The cheese should be completely melted by now.
- Remove from heat, slice up the sandwich and enjoy while it's hot!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.