Cheddar Ham & Broccoli Roll
I have been wanting sandwiches with my soup, but not really having time to make up a sandwich for myself every day. Last weekend I was pondering this problem, and I figured out a way to make this easy! All I needed was to bake the sandwich into my loaf of bread.
I knew ham and cheese would work well, but I also wanted a veggie in there. Broccoli sounded like just the thing to go with ham and cheddar, so I decided to give it a go. It worked like a charm! Now I have instant, scrumptious, homemade portable sandwiches that can go along with me for lunch all week. Just slice off a bit of the roll and go.
I used only half of the bread dough to make the loaf. The rest of the bread dough was made into rolls for my daughter’s lunches. You could certainly make two rolls if you have several mouths to munch your sandwich loaf. Also, I used this amazing mix of three cheddar cheeses that really compliments the ham perfectly. The broccoli just gives it that bit of extra yum! (not to mention that it adds that healthy touch too).
This yummy sandwich roll could serve for so many things … portable lunch, easy appetizer, quick dinner, after-school snack … it’s kinda my go-to-easy food this week when I need something yummy that will fuel me for a while.
- Bread dough for half of a loaf of bread (I used this recipe for the dough, but you can use pre-made dough if you like)
- 1 cup of ham, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
- About 1 1/4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I used a blend of 3 different cheddar cheeses)
- Prepare the bread dough. Thaw the broccoli till just lightly warmed, pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel, then chop into little bits. Warm the ham to room temperature or slightly warmer. Let the cheese sit out to warm it while you work.
- Preheat the oven to 170 F and then turn the oven off. Cut the dough in half and, using a rolling pin on a floured surface, roll out half of the dough into as big of a rectangle as you can. Let the dough rest for about 5 - 10 minutes, then roll it out a bit bigger.
- Sprinkle the dough with ham, broccoli, and cheese, leaving space around the edge to seal the roll.
- Wet your fingers and dampen the edge of the roll, then pinch together the edge along the seam to seal it. Set the roll on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, seam side down and tuck the ends under, pinching those to seal them as well.
- Set the baking sheet in the oven, cover it with a clean towel and allow it to rise with the oven OFF for about 45 minutes. Remove the towel, turn the oven on and bake at 350 F for about 40 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when you "thump" it lightly.
- Let set for about 10 minutes before cutting into slices to serve. Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight bag (or container) and reheat. (About 30 seconds in the microwave is about all it takes to nicely warm up a slice.)
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.