Cheddar Jalapeno Brussels Sprouts Poppers
Roasted crunchy creamy cheesy spicy goodness! Perfectly roasted brussels sprouts topped with spicy jalapeno cream cheese and a crunchy gluten free cheesy crumb topping.
I’ve been on a brussels sprouts binge lately … I’m so addicted to those tiny green cabbages! Every time I go to the store, I pick up more of them, with absolutely no plan of what to do with them. Sometimes I just roast them in the oven, sometimes I make them into a crunchy salad … today I wanted something a little different, something with a little kick to it, something ooey gooey cheesy and yet crunchy at the same time.
So I made a riff off my Sriracha Brussels Sprouts Poppers recipe. To make the cheesy topping, I mixed Greek cream cheese, cheddar cheese, a little chopped onion and some jalapeno from my freezer. (I had roasted, chopped and frozen the jalapeno peppers last summer.) The crunchy topping for these little bites was made with rice chex, a little more cheddar and a pinch of garlic & onion powder.
I made 12 little poppers for myself for lunch … and gobbled them all up in no time. I found that spooning a bit of my cashew salsa (made with red tomatoes this time) on top of the poppers gave the poppers a little more umph, but use whatever salsa you prefer … or skip the salsa and just eat them naked.
- 8 - 12 Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 1 - 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- 2 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel), softened
- About 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup Rice Chex cereal
- 2 Tablespoons finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- A pinch of onion powder
- A pinch of granulated garlic
- A sprinkle of Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small/medium mixing bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with the oil and sprinkle with Red Robin Seasoning. Set the brussels sprouts, cut side down, on the baking sheet, then set them in the oven and let them roast for about 5 - 8 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Turn the sprouts over and roast for about 5 minutes more or until browned on the other side as well.
- While the sprouts are cooking, mix the cream cheese, jalapeno, sharp cheddar cheese and onion. Set the cheese mixture in the freezer to harden.
- Make the crunchy topping by putting all topping ingredients in a handi chopper/mini food processor and process until the mixture is fine crumbs.
- Once the brussels sprouts are done, remove them from the oven and turn the oven up to 450 F. Take each sprout and put a small spoonful of the filling on the cut side of each one to coat the sprout. Sprinkle with the crunchy topping and set the sprout back on the baking sheet. Repeat until the filling or the brussels sprouts are gone.
- Bake at 450 F for about 5 minutes or until the tops are crunchy and browned. Serve with your favorite salsa to spoon over the poppers.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2017, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.