Cheesy Baked Broccoli Mushroom Fritters
Adapted from Recipes, Food and Cooking
My mom brought me a bunch of freshly picked Chanterelle mushrooms and some fresh garden produce from her garden. She and dad had gone mushroom hunting and picked a LOT of chanterelle mushrooms. On top of that, their garden (which is the size of a small field) is beginning to produce. They have broccoli plants that are almost my height and tomato plants that are covered with tomatoes … one of them is so big it looks like a TREE!
I once again feel blessed with so much garden goodness. I receive way more than I can ever possibly eat, and so it gets passed on to others, sometimes just as it is, sometimes as garden recipe creations. This was my first try at using up the mushrooms, along with the oh-so-green-and-beautiful broccoli that mom brought me. I baked them, so they’re not as crispy as a pan-fried fritter, but they’re still quite scrumptious and healthy … and portable. Gotta love a fun way to enjoy your veggies on the go. You can take them with you and warm them just briefly in the microwave for a little healthy treat that’ll make your body feel good.
If you don’t have Chanterelle mushrooms, feel free to substitute other ‘shrooms of your choosing.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- About 1 lb. mushrooms
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- About 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp, flavorful cheese (I used MontAmore)
- 1/3 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Clean the mushrooms, then chop roughly. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter in the pan, then add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the mushrooms are tender. If the mushrooms get dry during the saute, add a splash of wine. Remove from heat and press lightly with a clean towel to remove some of the moisture.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli until it's just turned bright green and is still fairly crisp (not crisp tender yet). Remove from heat and dump out onto a flat surface, using a clean towel to remove any excess moisture. Chop the broccoli into small bits.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and seasoning until frothy, then add the breadcrumbs and the cheeses. Stir in the chopped broccoli and mushrooms. Shape into 8 patties and put them on the baking sheet, allowing a little breathing space between your fritters.
- Bake for 15 minutes on one side, then flip the fritters and bake for 15 minutes on the other side. Serve warm.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.