Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad with Avocado
with a fresh homemade herb buttermilk ranch dressing
Mixed greens topped with crispy chicken, bits of bacon, tomato, sweet onion, and avocado, drizzled with a creamy homemade herb ranch.
Believe it or not, this was my “breakfast” on Sunday. I got up early, but then got so busy with baking, grocery shopping, and schlepping my son to the soccer fields that I didn’t get a chance to eat breakfast until it was almost noon. So, I decided, since it was a beautiful spring day, that a nice salad on the patio would be just the thing. I put some chicken in the toaster oven to cook, blended up some fresh ranch dressing, and arranged my brunch-y salad. It was tough to take time to photograph it because I was SO hungry, but I really wanted to share this beauty with you …
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic
- About 1/2 cup fresh herbs ~ I used basil, thyme, a bit of tarragon, rosemary, and cilantro
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lowfat or nonfat plain yogurt
- Mixed greens
- 1 chicken breast or 4 - 5 chicken nuggets
- 1 slice bacon, fried crisp & crumbled
- Sweet cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Sliced sweet onion (I used Vidalia)
- 1/4 of an avocado, cut into small chunks
- Cook the chicken or heat it up. (I buy frozen natural breaded chicken tenders and cook them in my toaster oven.)
- Put all the dressing ingredients EXCEPT the yogurt in a handi chopper or food processor and blend until all the herbs are finely chopped and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the dressing into a bowl and stir in the yogurt till well mixed. Add more buttermilk or some milk to smooth if you want a thinner dressing.
- For each salad: Make a bed of greens on your salad plate or bowl. Arrange the chicken, bacon, tomatoes, onion, and avocado around on the greens. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.