Hurrah zucchini season has arrived! I got my first BIG zucchini from an unknown friend at work who had left some zucchini from their garden in the break room with a little note: Please take and enjoy! Oh I love fresh garden zucchini.
I made some delicious zucchini kale fried rice with it, but it was big enough that I had plenty left to make zucchini bread. A little happy note played in my heart … what kind of zucchini bread should I make?
The little gears in my head started turning. Since I’ve been on a tropical theme this summer, I settled on something tropical. I have macadamia nuts and mangoes in my kitchen … and some shredded coconut … and coconut rum. I got to mixing up my bread and then baking it and when it came out it was so fragrant and beautiful that I just couldn’t wait to taste it! I inhaled two pieces and then made myself stop.
I took it to work and it didn’t last long. I put the shredded coconut on top so it would get nicely toasted. I love toasted coconut–it takes on an entirely different texture than the stringy stuff I remember from my childhood. (I am NOT a fan of stringy coconut!) It’s a little crunchy, with a nutty sweet flavor. I love what the toasted coconut adds to the bread. I can’t wait for my next zucchini to make this again. I’m seeing my parents next weekend … and very much hoping they will bring me some garden goodies from their gargantuan garden then. (Fingers crossed … I’m sooooo excited for harvest season to begin!)
This recipe makes two loaves … one to enjoy at home, one to share!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup low-fat yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 large, ripe mango, peeled, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon coconut rum
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal (ground flax seed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded, dried coconut
- 2 Tablespoons raw (turbinado) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray 2 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray or brush them with oil.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then stir in the sugar, oil, and yogurt. Add the zucchini, mango, vanilla and rum and stir until well mixed.
- Stir in the ginger, lime zest, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon just until everything is well mixed. Divide the batter between the two loaf pans, then sprinkle with macadamia nuts, coconut and raw sugar. Bake at 350 F. for about an hour or until a toothpick or wooden pick comes out clean. Let rest for a few minutes before cutting.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Foodie Friends Friday, Weekend Potluck, Sunday Fitness & Food, What to Do Weekends, What’s for Dinner Sunday, Let’s Get Real, Pretty Pintastic Party, Clever Chicks Bloghop, Hearth & Soul Bloghop and Home Matters.