Crab, Mushroom & Asparagus Frittata
with Havarti and MontAmoré cheese
We traveled this weekend and I came home to asparagus and mushrooms in my refrigerator that, in our rush to get ready, I’d neglected to cook before the trip. We also happen to have some leftover crab legs in our fridge from our last seafood outing when my daughter and I (who are both crab fanatics) went a little overboard ordering crab legs. So waking on Monday morning, with a day off of work and plenty to do around the house yet little motivation to get started, I decided I needed to make me a good breakfast to start the day.
Three hours later, my palate and my belly are content and I’ve had several cups of tea, but I still have nothing done except a little laundry. Perhaps I should cut myself some slack and just relax and enjoy the day. Life goes by so fast. Perhaps my teenage daughter has the right idea … she’s sleeping in today. Today totally feels like a lazy, rainy day and my exhausted body is telling me to slow down.
I used 3 eggs in my frittata, which was fine for me, but if you want a thicker frittata, add a little more egg. If you want to cut calories and cholesterol, use less cheese and substitute egg whites for some of the eggs (using 2 egg whites per egg). Do include some yolk, though, because the yolk has health benefits too.
- 2 - 4 stalks of asparagus
- 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 - 5 mushrooms, cut in pieces or sliced (I used morel mushrooms)
- 3 - 5 eggs
- About 2 - 3 Tablespoons shredded crab meat
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- 2 Tablespoons sliced, crumbled MontAmoré cheese (or substitute Asiago)
- Red Robin Seasoning & fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray and set the asparagus on the sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil. Bake at 350 for about 8 - 10 minutes or until the asparagus is bright green and crisp-tender. Chop the asparagus into small chunks and set aside.
- While the asparagus is baking, brush a cast iron or other frying pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until the onion is tender and the garlic is fragrant. Remove the onions & mushrooms from the pan and set aside. Again, brush the pan lightly with olive oil. Whisk the eggs with 1/2 Tablespoon water, sprinkle with seasoning & pepper and whisk some more until the egg mixture is smooth with no whites visible. Heat the pan over medium heat till hot, then pour in the eggs. The eggs should start cooking right away. Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the eggs with the asparagus, the onion/mushroom mixture, shredded crab meat and then the cheeses.
- Cover and let cook for 5 - 10 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and bubbly. Serve hot, with toast.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.