Creamy Creole Chicken Zoodles
Adapted from Texanerin Baking
You know those rich, decadent cajun cream fettuccine dishes that they serve at Italian restaurants? This dish tastes JUST like that. The sauce is super creamy and rich … and somehow with the amazingly rich cajun cream sauce on top, the zucchini noodles actually trick the tongue into believing they are real noodles.
The craziest part about it is … this rich creamy sauce is really pretty healthy! It’s full of healthy veggies and chicken … but it’s creamy and dreamy and wonderful to eat. The creaminess comes from a light white sauce made with low fat milk, a bit of flour (or, for gluten free, tapioca flour), Greek cream cheese and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
I have a special spot in my heart for cajun and creole cooking. I am not exactly sure where this fondness came from … perhaps it was from work trips I took many years ago to Mississippi and the panhandle of Florida, but I feel like it was embedded in my heart way before that. I have never lived in Louisiana … and had never visited there until just last month … but oh, any dish that was cajun or creole, I am drawn to it like a magnet …
You can serve this sauce with pasta, if you prefer, but I really like using zucchini noodles since they are so much healthier and really very tasty! I am absolutely in love with this dish … I am cherishing every. delicious. bite. And I’m thinking I need to make it again very soon, so I have some to share with my friends because I’m betting that they will flip over it too.
You’ll need a spiralizer to make the “zoodles” … I bought mine on Amazon for about $30 (this Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Vegetable Spiral Slicer is the same model I have) and I love it. (They make great gifts, too, btw!)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons flour (for gluten free, use tapioca flour)
- 1 cup low fat milk (I used 2%)
- 3 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 - 3 medium zucchini (about 8 inches), cut into noodles (zoodles)
- In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are soft & translucent.Add the bell pepper strips and mushrooms, cover and cook for several minutes, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms and peppers are soft. Stir in the flour, then the milk and the cream cheese in bits.
- Cook for several minutes, stirring frequently, breaking up the cream cheese, until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir in the shredded cheese and chicken. Reduce heat to low.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat the oil, then add the zoodles. Cover and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the zoodles are softened and bright green. Drain off any excess water.
- Scoop the chicken mixture onto the zoodles and toss a bit to mix. Serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.