Easy Healthy Meatball Stroganoff
A quick healthy stovetop recipe you can have on the table in less than 30 minutes! Adapted from AllRecipes
Use pre-made meatballs (store-bought or your own homemade meatballs) to get healthy, comforting stroganoff on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes! This light and healthy recipe is both delicious and satisfying.
I’m not sure what possessed me to make stroganoff. I think it was the meatballs … I was trying to think of something else I could do with them besides red sauce and pasta (or zoodles). I haven’t made stroganoff for years, but I just suddenly had a strong craving for it. I didn’t want anything that would destroy my health goals, though, so I went searching for a healthy stroganoff recipe. I found one … and adapted it to work with pre-made meatballs, since I had a bunch of mushroom ricotta meatballs left (un-sauced) after my meatball experiment, which made the recipe even easier, since there’s no need for messing with meat. It’s a simple thickened sauce flavored with garlic, beef broth, fresh thyme, rosemary and light sour cream, with the meatballs added in at the end. I used my mushroom ricotta meatballs, but you can use any that you have on hand.
It’s comfort food you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. I love that. Serve this scrumptious healthy sauce over egg noodles or zoodles, whatever fits your own lifestyle. Personally, I am all about the zoodles. They just make me feel happy, inside and out.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped fine
- 1 small sprig of rosemary, chopped fine
- 4 green onions (both white and green parts), snipped
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup flour (for gluten free, use tapioca flour)
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 18 - 20 meatballs (I used my mushroom ricotta meatballs - recipe here)
- In a saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and green onions and saute until the mushrooms are tender. Stir in the white wine and cook a while longer until the wine is cooked down to about half.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir to mix well, then pour in the broth and the mustard. Cook until thickened, then stir in the sour cream and stir to mix, then add the meatballs.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the meatballs are hot. Serve over zoodles or egg noodles.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2017, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.