Fried Purple Potato Skins with Egg
The other day I was peeling purple potatoes to make a fancy shmancy purple potato dish … as I was peeling, I was thinking how beautiful my fancy potatoes would be … but then my thoughts turned to the peels and I remembered a holiday when I caught my brother in law frying up all the purple potato skins that we were going to discard after getting all the potatoes ready for mashing. “What on earth are you doing?!?” I asked him. He just smiled. He knew I could totally gather what he was doing from watching. It didn’t really need any explanation. When he was done frying them up, he let me have a sample of his creation and oh man, they tasted SO good! I was wondering why I had never thought of doing this before.
So I decided, this time I am not going to throw away the peels. I’m going to fry them up and enjoy them! This would work for all kinds of potatoes, but purple potatoes especially have a tasty skin that fries up really well. Did you know that purple potatoes have the same super-healthy antioxidants that blueberries do? The result tastes almost like those crispy potato skin appetizers (except healthier!) in breakfast form. Or maybe a cross between potato skins and hash browns. A nicely fried egg with a runny yolk is the perfect accompaniment to the crispy potato skins.
There are so many advantages of doing this! First, most of the vitamins and fiber from the potato reside in the skin, so you’re giving yourself more nutrients, more fiber, more of the things your body needs. You’re taking care of your whole body by protecting your digestive system. The good bacteria in your body will be sooo happy you fed them some fiber. Secondly, you’re using the part of the vegetable we so often throw away … saving on waste and helping the environment. Third, you are treating your taste buds. And hey, you’re saving money by making extra meals from the foods you’ve got. Oh I forgot to mention, this is totally gluten free too. Personally, I’m thinking my brother in law is a hidden genius.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups purple potato skins
- Red Robin Seasoning (or salt) & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- For the top: snipped chives and a parsley leaf for garnish
- Before you peel your potatoes, make sure they are very well washed and very clean. Use a peeler to peel off the skin, putting the skins in one pile and the potatoes in the other. Use the inside of the potatoes for mashed potatoes or baked potato soup or something like that.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the potato skins, cover and cook for several minutes, removing the cover and stirring frequently. As the potatoes start to get cooked through remove the cover. Cook, stirring frequently, until the skins start to get browned and crispy. Season to taste and continue to cook until they are done to your liking. Remove the potato skins to a serving plate.
- Crack the egg into the pan and season and cook to your liking. Slide the egg on top of the potatoes, sprinkle with snipped chives (if you like) and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Munching Monday, Treasure Box Tuesday, Simple Supper Tuesday, Thursday Favorite Things, Foodie Friday DIY, Freedom Friday with All my Bloggy Friends, Let’s Get Real and Moonlight & Mason Jars.