Grilled Cheddar Swiss Breakfast Sandwich
Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? It is!!! I know I’m weird, but that really makes me happy. I adore grilled cheese sandwiches–both making them and eating them. Toasting the bread to perfection while getting the cheese good and melty is the challenge, and when achieved, the simple grilled cheese sandwich (to me) transcends taste bud nirvana.
My sister, a culinary genius, made this simple cheesy egg sandwich for herself one morning when we were at my parents’ place. As she sat there enjoying her perfectly toasted breakfast sandwich, a couple of us family members gathered round her …
“That looks REALLY good,” I said.
“It is!” she said. “Would you like a taste?”
And she sweetly cut off a couple parts of her sandwich to share with us. Mmmm … SO good! What is that interesting flavor in there? There was something subtle under the cheese and the egg that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. She told me it was mustard. Mustard?!?! WHAT???? On a breakfast sandwich?!? My sense of logic was befuddled, but I couldn’t argue with the divine taste of this sandwich.
You can use any mustard that you like. Plain yellow mustard works like a dream, but please don’t skip the mustard, even if you think you don’t like mustard. Just put a tiny bit of it on one side. The mustard totally MAKES the sandwich! I used a fancy schmancy microbrew beer mustard on this one. I bought that mustard for myself as a stocking stuffer at Christmas. (Yes, sometimes I buy my own stocking stuffers. Shhhh … don’t tell anyone!) And because this is a total deviation from my healthy eating kick, I also used an 8-year aged cheddar (cheese heaven!) and a good quality baby swiss. If’ I’m gonna cheat, I want it to be worth it!
Now I feel like I need a good workout. And then, for lunch, I think I’ll have a good salad, to balance out my decadent breakfast. Also, I have to tackle the unpleasant tasks of the day: cleaning out clutter in our house and doing my taxes and changing the cat’s litter boxes. Ugh. At least my day had a beautiful beginning. Perhaps I should do the yucky stuff first and THEN the workout as a reward? That sounds better.
- 1 egg
- 2 thin slices of good bread
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Sliced swiss cheese
- A bit of mustard
- Butter (or light butter)
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and sprinkle with Red Robin Seasoning (or salt) & freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat and lightly butter. When the pan is hot, pour in the egg. Wait until the egg is mostly set, then fold it over itself, flip and let it cook a minute longer to make sure the egg is done.
- While the egg is cooking, spread butter on the bottom (outside) side of the bread and a light spread of mustard on the inside. Put the swiss cheese on top of this, then add the egg (cutting if necessary to fit the sandwich), then the cheddar cheese. Top with the 2nd slice of bread with a thin spread of mustard on the inside, butter on the outside.
- Reduce heat to medium low or low. Set the sandwich in the pan. Cover and let it cook until the swiss cheese is melting and the bottom is golden brown. Flip the sandwich over and let it cook until the cheddar cheese is melted and the other side is golden brown. Transfer the sandwich to a plate with a spatula and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.