Hawaiian Shrimp Street Tacos
This recipe is inspired by Tre, one of our local restaurants. One night my yoga friends and I were at Tre, hanging out on their beautiful patio having a drink after yoga and some of us were having a little bite to eat as well. My friend Kay ordered the Caribbean Shrimp Street Tacos and she was just delighted when she tasted them. She loved how the shrimp was slightly shredded … and me, I was mentally taking notes as she talked about her dining experience. Fortunate for me, she couldn’t eat all the tacos they brought her, so I got to TASTE them too … and yeah, I figured out a way I could make this marvelous creation at home, or at least something tangentially similar.
My version is yes, tangentially similar to theirs, but (IMHO) just as wonderful. I shredded the shrimp with that amazing Japanese yum yum sauce I made … and then put some of that wonderful tropical pineapple mango slaw on top. Personally, I love to drizzle sriracha over it all, for heat. (I LOVE a good spicy heat!) Tre serves theirs with a habanero sauce, but you know, when you’re doing the work of putting these together, it’s okay to rely on Sriracha for the heat (and seriously, it’s wonderful!) … if you’re looking for a milder taco, just skip the Sriracha.
I served these at the “Summer Bash/Luau” last weekend and they were a big hit! Everyone I talked to told me they were wonderful. Personally, these tacos make me insanely happy. Then again, I am almost as happy skipping the tortillas and making all of this into an Asian shrimp taco salad–just put the slaw on bottom and shrimp on top, with a drizzle of Sriracha. Add a few chopped macadamias on top for crunch and maybe a few fresh mint or cilantro leaves. Whether you choose to make them as tacos or salad, I think you’ll agree that they are a little taste of tropical heaven!
- About 2 cups of frozen peeled shrimp, thawed and drained
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup of Japanese Yum Yum Sauce (recipe here) or Sriracha mayo
- Small flour tortillas (6-inch or even smaller)
- Tropical Pineapple Mango Coleslaw (recipe here)
- Sriracha sauce, if desired, and fresh mint or cilantro for garnish
- If the shrimp have tails on them, pull them off, then put the thawed, peeled shrimp in a mini food processor with the sauce and pulse to roughly shred the shrimp and mix with the sauce. Taste and add more sauce if needed, gently pulsing just a couple times to mix.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture down the center of each tortilla, then a healthy spoonful of the tropical slaw on top. Garnish with freshly chopped mint and drizzle with sriracha (if desired). Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.