Honey Mango Rose Italian Cream Soda
My daughter and I love to make Italian Cream Sodas in the summertime. We’ve dreamed up some pretty fantabulous flavors over the years … but we strive for at least one new flavor every year. This year’s idea was hers. The color of this delicious cream soda is subtle … not as vibrant as some of our previous concoctions … and mangoes do not yield as much syrup as some of the other summer fruit that collapses when you cook it … but it is SO worth it! The tropical rose flavor is divine!
Not to mention, I had the ingenious idea of using the mango rose “pulp” (leftover after you strain out the syrup for the sodas) in a sweet and spicy tropical mango sauce that is delicious in sushi and I imagine soooo many other things. (Recipe coming soon …)
I hope you enjoy this delightful summer libation. Add a shot of rose vodka or coconut rum to make it a cocktail, if you are so inclined.
- 2 mangos, peeled and seeded
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 large, fragrant organic red roses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 - 3 droppers of liquid stevia ... or 1/2 cup sugar
- Ice (to fill the glass)
- Club soda (to mostly fill the glass)
- 1 - 2 shots of Honey Mango Rose syrup
- 1 shot fat free half & half (or regular half & half ... or light cream)
- Put the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once the syrup mixture is cool, strain through a strainer covered with cheesecloth. Gently push the fruit into the cheesecloth to strain out additional liquid. Save the smushed fruit for a yummy mango sauce or use it in baked goods like you use applesauce.
- To make the soda: Add ice to mostly fill a tall curvy glass. Pour club soda or other fizzy water to mostly fill the glass, then pour in a shot of the syrup. Taste and add more syrup if needed.
- Next, pour in a shot of half and half. This is where the magical moment happens. Watch the cream swirl in the soda. It's beautiful! Then stir, taste, adjust the syrup if needed and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.