Hot Sweet Brandied Citrus Tea
A hot, relaxing cocktail made with herbal orange tea, brandy and kumquat syrup. The perfect nightcap on a cold winter’s night.
I used to have a glass of wine before going to bed. It’s a habit that helps relax me so I can get to sleep faster. But one night I was chilled and decided to make myself some tea instead. The brandy was sitting there … I am not much of a brandy drinker … I buy it to use in cooking, mostly, but there it was, sitting there, staring at me … and it occurred to me that a splash of brandy might be good in my tea.
And it was. I’ve had this many nights now, just before bed, sometimes with brandy, sometimes with rum. It really is a wonderful warm way to end a cold winter day.
- 1 cup of hot herbal orange tea (such as Tazo Wild Sweet Orange or Celestial Seasonings Tangerine Orange)
- 2 Tablespoons brandy or rum
- 2 Tablespoons brandied kumquat ginger syrup (recipe here)
- For garnish: a couple slices of kumquat or orange
- Brew your cup of tea. I usually microwave the water till it's really hot, then add the tea bag.
- Pour in the brandy & the syrup, stir and enjoy! Garnish with slices of fresh kumquat or orange if you like.