Jack’s Nutty Fruit & Chocolate Snack Mix
I went on a business trip this week. The agenda was packed, with no breaks planned, all day and into the evening and I was really nervous that there wouldn’t be any healthy snacks or time to eat. Without my snacks, well, let’s just say it’s really not a good thing, so I decided I needed a healthy snack mix to take with me.
I had certain requirements for my snack mix: I wanted fiber and protein, but also some really good chocolate. So I mixed up some nuts with some high-fiber cereal, made a sweet spicy mixture (with a little Jack Daniels whiskey … hey, why not?) to give it some flavor, baked it up, then added mixed dried fruit (a tropical mix I had with dried pineapple, papaya, raisins, cranberries & apricots) and dark chocolate yogurt-coated raisins, and topped it off with a dark chocolate drizzle.
This mix saved me at several points throughout the trip, satisfying my hunger and my need for chocolate. I was so glad I brought it.
- 2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
- 3 cups Toasted Oatmeal Squares
- 1 1/2 cups mixed roasted nuts
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons Jack Daniels whiskey
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 1 cup dark chocolate yogurt coated raisins
- Preheat the oven to 275 F. Spray a jelly roll pan or 13x9x2 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cereals & nuts.
- Now put all the "sticky mixture" ingredients in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. If the butter is not quite melted, microwave another minute and stir again. (Or heat it on the stovetop in a small saucepan.)
- Pour the sticky mixture over the cereal mixture in the bowl and stir to coat all the pieces. Pour this mix out on the prepared pan. Bake at 275 F. for 45 minutes to an hour or until the pieces are nice and crunchy, stirring every 15 minutes. Let this mixture cool completely.
- Mix in the dried fruit & yogurt-coated raisins. Melt the chocolate and drizzle it over top of the snack mix. Set aside until the chocolate is set. Break into chunks and enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.