Kumquat Creamsicle Smoothie
I’m still making my way through my kumquats from the large box my aunt sent me … some of them are starting to go bad so I need to finish up the kumquats. I pureed a bunch of them to use in recipes last weekend, so I decided to try a little bit of that puree in a smoothie … and that made me think of an orange creamsicle. Wouldn’t a kumquat with cream be lovely?
I think I could have pureed my kumquats a bit more and perhaps I used a bit too much kumquat, but I really did like the tart sweet taste of kumquats with the cream. I used fat free half and half, but you could substitute milk or yogurt if you like … and I threw in the last of the vanilla protein powder in the cupboard.
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 Tablespoons of pureed kumquats (or more to taste ... I used 4 Tablespoons but I think that was a bit too much)
- 1/2 cup fat free half & half (or milk)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup or more milk (to add to desired thickness)
- If your kumquats have seeds in them, remove the seeds and then puree the whole fruit (including the peel) until completely smooth.
- Put the frozen banana, 2 Tablespoons of kumquat puree, the half & half, protein powder, vanilla and milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk if desired to thin it out a bit more and more kumquat puree if you want a stronger citrus flavor.
If the protein powder and banana don't provide enough sweetness for your tastes, try adding a little maple syrup or honey.