Lemon Avocado Sweet Pea Crostini
Adapted from Bacon Fatte
Delightful little avocado toasts, with lemon, garlic, sweet peas and cilantro to liven up the party. The peas give the bright green spread a little sweetness plus they add fiber and nutrients. Perfect for breakfast or for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration with a nice Irish beer, these little green crostini are delectable. I used a good crusty bread to provide crunch and it contrasted beautifully with the smoothness of this spread.
When I saw this green pea spread from Bacon Fatte the other day, I was intrigued. I SO wanted to try it! I didn’t have everything that the recipe called for, but I didn’t let that stop me. I substituted cilantro for the parsley and sweet onion for the chives (because it’s snowing here today and there aren’t going to be any fresh chives or parsley coming up anytime soon). I confess I didn’t even look at her recipe (other than the ingredient list) until I’d already blended up the peas with everything else, and by then it was too late to go back. I tasted my surprising green pea spread just as I’d made it, and yes, it was good, but it needed a little something … I thought perhaps a little avocado would add richness, so I added it. Yes, that is just perfect!
I had the ends of some crusty bread that I bought for my kids and I decided to allow myself a little carb-ilicious indulgence today, after giving up bread almost entirely for over a year. My sister has started trying to lose weight and she told me she has avocado toast for breakfast every day. Why shouldn’t I allow myself a little avocado toast now and then too?
Oh toast, how I’ve missed you. Welcome back!
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- 1/4 of a sweet onion
- About 1 Tablespoon water, or as needed for spreadable consistency
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Dubliner cheese (optional)
- French bread, sliced thin (for gluten free, use gluten free bread or crackers)
- For the top: a little extra shredded cheese & fresh cilantro leaves
- Put all ingredients except the bread in a mini food processor and process until the mixture becomes a nice spreadable consistency.
- Lightly toast the bread, spread with the avocado/sweet pea mixture and toast again (in the oven or a toaster oven).
- Sprinkle with cheese and a bit of cilantro and enjoy.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2017, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.