Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato Salad
with sweet onions, fresh oregano, parsley, dill, feta cheese and a light lemon herb vinaigrette
We’ve made it to the dog days of summer already … the kind of scorching hot day where you don’t even want to go outside, ice water and air conditioning are the best things ever and you don’t feel like eating anything but maybe a cool, refreshing salad.
It was a day like this yesterday … over 100 degrees … and we went out to the Renaissance Festival. I was dressed in my full garb, which isn’t overly heavy or anything, but it does involve leather and leather is not exactly the coolest material to wear in the heat. They had one air conditioned building, the rest of the festival was outside. We went early to try to avoid the hottest part of the day, but still it was HOT! We kept gravitating towards the air conditioned building, which wasn’t so much “air conditioned”, it was just comfortable rather than scorching.
We only stayed at the Faire for 2 hours and then we needed to go home. We’re going back today. It’s going to be another blazing hot day–not QUITE as hot as yesterday. We mapped out exactly what shows we want to see, what we want to buy, and how long we plan to stay. I’m not wearing my leather today, just my Renaissance shirt and a skirt. I only ate half the salad yesterday, so I have a nice cool, refreshing cucumber salad waiting for me when I get home.
- Juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 - 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano, dill & parsley (a mix of the three)
- 2 cups sliced sweet baby cucumbers
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- A bit of crumbled feta
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside for at least 15 minutes to let the garlic infuse into the dressing.
- Meanwhile, prep the salad. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and onion.
- Toss with the dressing and sprinkle with salt & pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with extra herbs, if desired and crumbled feta.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.