Mushroom Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese
When I had those treasured wild mushrooms that my dad gave me a while back, it threw me into a mushroom kick. Even after the wild mushrooms were gone, I had to have more mushrooms, so I went out and bought some of those oh-so-tame-but-still-pretty-good fresh mushrooms from the grocery store and I sauteed them up in just a small pat of butter (maybe 1 teaspoon) and some chopped garlic. And then I decided a grilled cheese sandwich needed to happen with these. I had recently made the pizza sauce, so a more pizza-style grilled cheese came to mind, but then the black peppercorn smoked gouda that I had in the fridge took over.
And so I found myself enjoying one of those grilled cheese sandwiches where the cheese oozes out of the sandwich and seems to stretch for miles … gouda will do that. Smoked Gouda with black peppercorn, pizza sauce and sauteed mushrooms, mmm, even better. With a few fresh veggies on the side to balance out my grilled cheese indulgence, it tasted wonderful and felt really good too.
- Mushrooms sauteed in a little butter with chopped garlic
- 2 very thin slices of bread
- Light butter spread (trans-fat free)
- Pizza sauce (I used this recipe)
- Peppercorn smoked gouda cheese, sliced
- Put a small pat of butter in a frying pan, and add the mushrooms and a bit of chopped garlic.
- Butter the bottom of the first slice of bread. Spread the other half with pizza sauce, then set it butter side down in your frying pan.
- Arrange slices of cheese to cover the bread, then the mushrooms, then a little more cheese and the other slice of bread on top. Butter the top of the top slice of bread.
- Turn the heat on medium and begin to toast the sandwich, turning the heat down to medium low as soon as the pan is hot. Cover the pan to help the cheese melt, but check it frequently.
- When the bottom is golden brown and the cheese is starting to melt, flip the sandwich and again cover the pan, but check frequently. When the bottom is perfectly toasted and the cheese is nicely melted, slide the sandwich onto a plate and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: