Peach Pecan Pulled Pork Salad
A while ago, I made some pulled pork for my kids in the crockpot, so they’d have something a little outside of their normal routine to eat. I’ve been wanting to make a salad with it ever since I made it. I had visions of a BBQ Cobb salad when I walked into the kitchen, but the ripe, juicy peach that was sitting on my counter took over from there. It suddenly struck me how well barbecue pork and peaches would go together, and with a sprinkling of pecans and some greens underneath, oh it was sooo good!
All I did to make the pulled pork was cut my pork loin into chunks, add some barbecue sauce, and throw it all in the crockpot and cook for 8 hours, then unplug, sit for 2 hours. After it had time to rejuvenate in the juices, I shredded the meat with 2 forks and added more BBQ sauce to make it moist and juicy. It turned out good, but I would like to tweak that recipe a bit before I declare it blog-able. My kids ate it on sandwiches for a while, but then I think they forgot it was there. Perhaps they are fickle or perhaps my fridge is waaay overstocked with food and it’s impossible to tell what’s in there. (I’m not confessing which is the true story!) Being the frugal and not-wasteful mom that I am, I noticed this and stuck the pulled pork in the freezer until I had time to eat it, but I didn’t forget about it. Pork is not something we have in our house that often … this was NOT going to go to waste!
So today I went to make a salad out of that pretty-good pulled pork. I took a pretty good, slightly over-ripe peach, peeled and sliced it up, set it on a bed of stellar garden greens from my mom’s garden (oh man they are good!), some chopped fresh mint leaves (because they are taking over my garden!) and some toasted pecans. With a drizzle of that smoky chipotle BBQ ranch dressing, it is fabulous! I can only imagine what heaven this salad would be with perfected pulled pork and a perfectly juicy ripe peach.
I’m working on that pulled pork recipe for you. In the meantime, make this salad with whatever pulled pork (or chicken) recipe you currently love. If you have a ripe, garden-fresh peach available, even better. I’m not quite that lucky (yet).
- 6 Tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 6 Tablespoons low fat or skim milk
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small sprig of fresh dill, snipped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 - 2 teaspoons real maple syrup
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
- About 1/3 cup leftover BBQ pulled pork (use more or less, to your liking)
- Green leaf lettuce or romaine
- A few fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 ripe peach, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- about 2 Tablespoons toasted pecans
- For garnish: fresh, edible flowers & mint leaves
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Warm the pulled pork on the stove or microwave. While the pork is warming, cover your plate well with lettuce and prep the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle the lettuce with the chopped mint.
- Put a mound of pork in the middle of the salad. Arrange peach slices around it, sprinkle with green onion and pecans and garnish as desired.
- Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: