Pepperoni Pizza Cream Cheese “Schmear”
The other day I had an intense craving for cheese … all I could think of was hot, melty, oozing cheese … I told my coworker (and friend) this and she said “you need a grilled cheese sandwich” … oh that sounded just about right.
There is a wonderful gourmet grilled cheese sandwich spot in town, but I didn’t have time for that. I only had time for a quick run to the nearest grocery store over lunchtime to pick up some cheese & crackers … but, as I was driving back to work, this cheese spread came into my head … like a brilliant solution to a workplace cheese craving.
I went home that night and put everything that was included in my “recipe in my head” into my handi chopper and blended it up, and when I tasted it, I seriously declared myself a culinary genius. My daughter looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that, but I didn’t care. I scraped my precious cheese spread into a container to take to work with me and I’ve been spreading this deliciousness on my crackers all week … I finally brought it home for a photo shoot and (after the shoot), ended up spreading the last of it on a fresh slice of hot homemade bread. Talk about a slice of heaven! I am one happy girl now ….
- 1/4 of a small sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon or so of julienned sundried tomatoes (you could use the kind that are packed in oil ... mine were just dried and julienned)
- 7 thin slices of pepperoni
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, softened
- A few fresh basil and oregano leaves
- Set the cream cheese in a bowl and soften for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Put the cream cheese in a handi chopper or food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend until the pepperoni, onion, garlic & herbs are finely chopped and fully mixed into the cheese spread.
- Use a scraper to get every last bit of your cheese spread into a container. Refrigerate until firm.
- Use as a spread for crackers, bagels or freshly toasted bread or english muffins.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.