Pesto, Shrimp & Kale Grilled Pizza
We love to grill pizzas in the summertime … my daughter always wants hers to be plain cheese (or sometimes sausage), I like to be more adventurous. So I make them “individual sized” so we can each have our favorite kind.
Grilling pizza is really quite easy … the trick is to prep your toppings beforehand (for the most part) and to make sure one side of the grill is is very hot and the other side is cooler. You start the raw dough on the “hot” side, toasting the bottom of the pizza, then flip it over to the cool side to top and finish.
It all turns out marveously browned on both sides, with a beautiful, puffy crust and an amazing smoky taste that both my daughter and I seem to be totally addicted to. If you don’t feel adventurous enough to try this one on the grill, you can always bake it in the oven. But do push yourself to try the grilled pizza if you haven’t … I KNOW you will be totally hooked once you master it!
- Pizza dough for 1 pizza (I used my New York Style Pizza Crust)
- Pesto (I used my Chive asparagus pesto, but any pesto will do)
- Fresh kale, chopped
- Frozen precooked shrimp, thawed
- Fresh garden tomato, chopped
- Red onion, sliced thin
- Goat cheese, large crumbles
- Shredded pizza cheese blend (mozzarella & cheddar)
- First prepare the pizza dough. When the dough is ready, shape it into discs on a surface dusted with cornmeal (for as many pizzas as you want to make -- I separated it into 6 pieces) and cover.
- Check the pizza dough: stretch and pull gently till it won't stretch anymore. Cover.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Coarsely chop the kale and toss with a tablespoon or two of pesto. Put it in the saucepan, add a splash of water, sprinkle with Red Robin Seasoning (or salt), cover and let cook for a few minutes or until wilted.
- Fire up the grill -- you will need one side hot and one cooler. If you are using charcoal, pile them up on one side of the grill before you set the grate on.
- Now, take the prepared pizza dough and set one or two on the hot side of the grill. Cover and let them cook for a few minutes until they are puffy and nicely browned on the bottom. Flip them over to the cool side of the grill, spread with pesto, then top with the cooked kale, chopped tomato, red onion and large-ish "crumbles" of goat cheese. Sprinkle lightly with pizza cheese.
- Cover the grill and let the pizzas on the "cool" side of the grill (or indirect heat on a gas grill) until the cheese is nicely melted and bubbly.
- Slide the pizza onto a cutting board, cut it into pieces and serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.