Skinny-licious Buffalo Chicken Dip
Creamy, cheesy, with a little bit of a spicy buffalo kick, loaded with chicken and a bit of blue cheese, this buffalo chicken dip has it all. And here’s the best part: you don’t have to feel guilty about eating it!
I think it was at my mom and dad’s 50th wedding anniversary that I first tasted buffalo chicken dip, but I’m not 100% sure on that. It was one of those occasions when everyone on my dad’s side of the family was gathered. My cousin brought some buffalo chicken dip. I am not all that into buffalo chicken wings, but I looooove the flavor and heat of buffalo sauce with blue cheese … once I tasted her dip, I was in love! I wanted the whole thing all to myself. I kept going back for more … and more … and more.
I just HAD to recreate this at home … in healthier form. You guys, this dip has all that ooh soooo good flavor, yummy creamy texture and that buffalo kick of heat, but it’s not laden with all the calories and fat that most of the buffalo chicken dip recipes you’ll find. You can’t tell from the taste–I’m telling you, this dip is DIVINE!
And here’s the skinny on the nutrition facts: If you divide this recipe into 10 servings, then each serving has about 171 calories, with only 55 of those calories from fat, no trans fats and a whopping 22.8 grams of protein. It’s also got iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, and 12% of your calcium needs for the day. Aside from the sodium (which personally I don’t fret about), I would say it’s total health food–and oh man, is it goooood. Personally, I love to use raw cauliflower, carrot chips or mushrooms for dippers. Of course, whole wheat pita chips are wonderful too.
Dig in and let the party begin!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 8 oz. Greek Cream Cheese (or Neufchatel), in chunks
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup Frank's Buffalo wing sauce (to taste)
- 6 oz. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese, blended until smooth
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted and everything is mixed well. Add more buffalo sauce if desired.
- Serve warm with pita chips, crackers, celery sticks or other veggie dippers.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe