Smoked Cheddar & Gouda Breakfast BLT
The Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich may be the most quintessential heavenly
sandwich food ever invented. Still, I can’t help but tweak my BLT every time I make it. First of all, it needs cheese. Really really good melty cheese. Because, I mean, what could possibly be better than fresh garden tomatoes with melted cheese and bacon?
Well, okay, you can go one step better. Fresh garden tomatoes, freshly baked bread (toasted), gooey melted smoky cheese, bacon and an EGG. An egg with an oozing yolk that makes a BLT sandwich just a tad bit more messy and fun. Oh yeah! (Or if you don’t like your eggs oozing, just cook it a little longer till the yolk is done.)
Oh wait … hang on a sec … I have to interrupt this sandwich love to announce that WE HAVE A WINNER for the T-Fal cookware! The winner is …. (drumroll, please) …
Lolly Busey! Lolly has already responded to my email and will be receiving the cookware soon!
If you’re disappointed that you didn’t win, check the matrix below and visit the other bloggers whose giveaways are still ON! Yes, there’s still time to win …
Okay, back to sandwich. It’s a little tricky to get everything for this sandwich done at exactly the right time. Don’t stress too much over that. It doesn’t really matter. If the cheese isn’t quite done melting when the egg is done or you have a wait a bit on the tops to finish toasting, in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter. The warmth from the rest of the sandwich elements will step in and help out and make your sandwich spectacular. The only MUST HAVE to make this sandwich great is a really good, juicy garden tomato. If you don’t have that, just skip it until you can get yourself to a farmer’s market or bribe a neighbor or friend who has a garden to give you a good tomato.
I cut myself a couple extra tomato slices to make sure I got some of that juicy garden tomato flavor in every. single. bite.
- 2 slices of good bread (I used my white whole wheat bread)
- 2 - 3 slices of lean bacon
- A couple slices of EACH: smoked cheddar & gouda cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 - 3 thick slices of garden fresh tomato
- Fresh lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly toast one slice of bread. While the bread is toasting, cook the bacon to your liking and set on a clean towel to pat off the excess fat.
- Set the toasted bread on a baking sheet, and arrange the bacon on the bread to cover it, then top with the cheeses to mostly cover the bacon.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and cook for about 5 minutes or so until the cheese is good and melted.
- Now, set the other piece of bread toasting and you have just enough time to cook the egg! Fry an egg to your liking (I did mine over easy).
- When the cheese is melted, use a spatula to move the cheesy bacon toast to a plate, then top with tomato, the egg, and then some lettuce. Put the toasted top slice on top and enjoy!
Don't bother to attempt this sandwich if you don't have a really good garden fresh (or farmer's market) tomato. Store bought tomatoes generally just don't have enough flavor.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
The Cooking Planit and T-fal 2013 Giveaway Schedule
Contest is open to US citizens only. Limit one-winner per household/per family from the 50 blogs participating in the promotion. If an individual is the winner of more than one giveaway, they will receive only one set of cookware and an alternate winner will be chosen for the other set(s).
I was given a set of TFal cookware and the Cooking Planit app as part of the Cooking Planit Giveaway and promotion. As always, all opinions are my own.