Smokin’ Chipotle Pimento Cheese
Inspired by Dixie Chik Cooks
I have a wonderful circle of yoga friends. We have little parties where everyone brings food … and someone inevitably brings pimento cheese to every party. Typically it is store-bought, picked up on the way to the party, but everyone enjoys it and talks about how much they love it. And yes, I love it too. It’s sooo yummy. I always thought “this can’t be that hard to make” … and it really isn’t, but I just never did get around to making it.
Well, recently I saw this recipe for jalapeno white cheddar pimento cheese from Dixie Chik Cooks and that decided me. It was time to try my hand at pimento cheese. Now, I didn’t have any jarred pimentos on hand. And I couldn’t find any jalapenos, either, although I KNOW I have some in the freezer. But I found chipotles. And I had some little sweet peppers–and you know, pimentos are just sweet red peppers in a jar, so I roasted my little peppers to make my own pimentos. Ha!
I used Greek yogurt in place of most of the mayo and I think it tastes much better, not to mention that it’s WAY healthier. I love the smoky kick of the chipotle peppers in this scrumptious spread.
The weird part is I took it to work and everyone asked me what it was and when I said “pimento cheese”, they all looked at me like I was an elephant from Mars or something. I said, “you know, pimento cheese? It is really a thing!” … and still they looked clueless and so I tried to describe it to them. And then my coworker from Kentucky came into the room and said, “yeah, pimento cheese!” and I was SO relieved that SOMEONE knew what I was talking about. He said in the South, they eat pimento cheese sandwiches. Makes perfect sense!
- 4 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel), softened
- 4 oz. pimentos, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped chipotle peppers (use more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Chipotle cheddar cheese
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Mix together the cream cheese, pimentos, Greek yogurt and mayonnaise until well mixed.
- Stir in the chopped chipotle peppers, onion powder, garlic powder, and chipotle powder.
- Add the cheeses and stir until well mixed. Add salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste. Serve with crackers or spoon into mini sweet pepper halves or celery sticks. Spread it on sandwiches.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.