Spinach & Mushroom Breakfast Quinoa
A hot, healthy, hearty, satisfying breakfast that comes together in minutes if you have pre-cooked quinoa in your fridge.
It was my friend Ann at Fountain Avenue Kitchen that introduced me to the concept of breakfast quinoa. It’s a marvelous thing … quinoa makes such a perfect base for a fried egg. Quinoa is such a versatile grain–it’s naturally gluten free, and high in fiber and protein, and I love the nutty taste and the chew factor it brings to a recipe.
Stir in a few veggies along with some cheese and you have an easy yet fabulous breakfast.
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 oz. Dubliner cheese, shredded or chopped into small bits
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh chopped spinach
- 2 - 3 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 egg
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter or drizzle the olive oil over, then add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the mushrooms and quinoa, then the cheese. Cook for a few minutes until the cheese is melted, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and cook briefly until the spinach wilts. Season with Red Robin seasoning or salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Fry or poach an egg and serve on top of the quinoa. Enjoy it while it's hot!