Spinach Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms
Inspired by Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Mushrooms and I are hanging out a lot together lately. I’ve always, always loved mushrooms, but I kind of neglected them in years past as my kids aren’t mushroom eaters, so anything I make with mushrooms is purely for my own satisfaction.
However, since I started trying to lose weight, I discovered that my fungi friends are a dieter’s dream! They’re delicious, filling, nutritious AND virtually calorie free. So yeah, mushrooms are my new BFF. When I saw Lauren Kelly Nutrition‘s Quinoa Spinach Stuffed mushrooms, I was more than intrigued, I was on a MISSION to make them!
I have to confess I didn’t even look at Lauren’s recipe as I made these, but I had read her recipe several days earlier. I just followed my instincts and came up with my own version of these lovely little bites. I had some of that amazing Garlic Herb Sundried Tomato Cheese Spread in my fridge and I decided to use that as a “binder” for the filling. Oooh that was a really good idea. It only takes about 5 minutes to make the cheese spread, but if you don’t want to make the cheese spread before you make these mushrooms, just use 1 – 2 oz. Greek cream cheese and toss in a little extra garlic, some herbs and a few chopped sundried tomatoes. I didn’t think to add the melty cheese on top until later, but I think that little extra touch really took these babies over the top.
If you only use 1 oz. of shredded cheese on top and 1.5 oz. of the cheese spread, these mushrooms still come out very low in calories and yet they are sooo dreamy and wonderful! Depending on the size of your mushrooms, they are only 50 – 75 calories apiece. I plan to use them for snacks this week at work–if they last that long.
- 8 oz. baby bella or button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup frozen, thawed spinach (or cooked fresh, measured after cooking)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 - 2 oz. Garlic Herb Sundried Tomato Cheese Spread (recipe here)
- 1 - 2 oz. shredded flavorful white cheese (Dubliner, Asiago, Romano, or Parmesan)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them. Rub a bit of butter over the bottom of a warmed frying pan, then add the mushroom stems and garlic and saute until the mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the spinach, quinoa, pecans and cheese spread until everything is well mixed. Add salt & pepper to taste, if needed. Stuff the quinoa mixture into the mushroom caps and set in a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 400 F. for 15 - 20 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and juicy and the cheese is melted. Enjoy while they are warm--or chill in a covered container and reheat in the microwave at serving time.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.