Strawberry Banana Pecan Baked Oatmeal
I had a bunch of strawberries in my fridge and a few over-ripe bananas on my counter, so I decided to put them to good use and make me (and my friends) some good breakfast. It turned out just as I had thought it would. Warm, comforting, fruity, with just the right amount of crunch from the pecans on top.
I love baked oatmeal. It’s simple. It’s delicious. It’s wonderful. It’s easy to package up into containers and reheat in the microwave for easy weekday breakfasts.
One of my friends told me she was going to whip up some cream to put on top of her oatmeal. I think that is a marvelous idea. This oatmeal is definitely whipped cream worthy. If you want a healthier option, you could certainly top it with vanilla Greek yogurt. Or some more fresh berries (like I did here). Or enjoy it just as it is, warm and cozy and inviting. It’s a healthy breakfast that tastes like a decadent dessert. Now THAT’S a great start to your day!
- 1 lb. strawberries, sliced
- 2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups milk (I used 1% but coconut, cashew or almond milk work well too)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats (for gluten free, use gluten free oats)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 Tablespoon raw (turbinado) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a 9x9x2 inch square baking dish with cooking spray, then cover the bottom of the baking pan with slices of strawberry.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash up the bananas, then stir together with the milk, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to mix well. Pour this wet oatmeal mixture over the strawberries in the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with more sliced strawberries and nuts, then with the raw sugar.
- Bake at 375 F. for about 40 - 45 minutes or until the oatmeal is set in the middle. Remove from oven and let set for a few minutes before scooping up some delicious servings. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat in the microwave.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: