Strawberry Surprise Cupcakes
I made these cupcakes ages ago for my niece ages ago for her birthday, but I didn’t take any pictures. They were so popular with everyone that they disappeared in a flash. My kids secured a promise from me that I would make them for them again. My son asked me to make them again yesterday. I was a little frustrated with myself that I’d written down the ingredients but no directions! So I was flying in the dark this time, but I figured it out pretty quickly.
The “surprise” is there is a whole strawberry in the middle. You’ll want smaller strawberries for this, not the gargantuan ones I had this time from the store. Smaller strawberries get nicely enveloped by the cupcakes.
Alternatively, you can chop up the strawberries and mix them into the batter. The fresh strawberry flavor is wonderful with the buttery yogurt cupcakes. I was amazed at how smooth the texture of the batter is. I love that you don’t have to mix it forever.
- 3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberry (or plain) Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry cream liqueur (I used Tequila Rose)
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 whole strawberries, tops cut off
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-spot muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with the sugar until completely mixed. Stir in the eggs, then the vanilla, yogurt, milk and liqueur.
- Add the flour, then sprinkle on the baking powder, salt & baking soda. Stir until the batter is smooth.
- Fill each cup about 2/3 of the way full. Insert a whole strawberry in the center of the cupcake (pointy side down).
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. The cupcake batter will rise up and around the berries as they bake.
- Frost the cupcakes if you wish or top with light whipped cream and strawberries and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Weekend Potluck.