Sunflower Fig Zucchini Bread
Do you ever get bored with the same old zucchini bread recipe? I do … so sometimes I have to go out on a limb and make a new flavor. And this time I had some fresh figs that needed using … and making a figgy zucchini bread sounded fun.
I constantly wonder about the figgy pudding that we all sing about at Christmas-time, but I have never seen or experienced such a thing. I have done a search and yes, figgy pudding does exist and perhaps I shall make this figgy pudding sometime soon.
But in the meantime, oh bring us some figgy zucchini bread (with dates … because dates are so good for you … and so lovely and sweet) and sunflower seeds too just because I thought they would go nicely together.
Are you hearing Christmas music yet? Because I am … let’s slowly settle into the season with some figgy zucchini bread.
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- About 5 - 10 fresh figs, chopped (1 cup or more)
- About 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray two 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the wet ingredients until well mixed. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over top and stir to mix them in well. This mixture should form a nice batter. Fold in the mix-ins.
- Divide the batter amongst the two loaf pans. Sprinkle the top of the loaves with some extra sunflowers and a bit of coarse raw (turbinado) sugar. Bake at 350 F. for at least 50 minutes or longer, until a wooden pick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let sit for a few minutes, then release the loaves from their baking pans, setting on a rack to cool. Slice and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.