Sweet Cranberry Apple Kale Salad
with ginger, walnuts and goat cheese … Adapted from The Complete Book of Raw Food Volume 2
The sweet and intense taste of fresh ginger infuses this salad … it’s a super healthy salad with loads of curly kale, but I massaged the kale with olive oil to reduce the bitterness. The cranberries add a sweet, tart and chewy factor, the apples give a nice juicy sort of crunch, and it’s all balanced out with toasted walnuts and creamy goat cheese. It’s really quite a genius mix of flavors and colors and I’m so glad I discovered it in my Book of Raw Food–and actually took time to MAKE it before the kale went bad!
You see, I had bought kale specifically to make this salad, then didn’t have time to make it … so it sat in the veggie drawer in the fridge, waiting for me … until it was time to clean the fridge to make room for new groceries and then I remembered, oh yes, there was that kale salad I had meant to make! I had better get on that.
- 2 cups kale leaves, deveined and chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (and peeled, if you like)
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 Tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- Put the kale leaves in a bowl, add the olive oil and toss, then massage the oil into the kale leaves. (This helps reduce the bitterness of the kale.)
- Add the apple, orange juice, ginger, honey, and cranberries and toss to mix completely. Cover and refrigerate until it's time to eat.
- At serving time, sprinkle with toasted walnuts and goat cheese crumbles.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.