Swiss Berry Blue Grilled Cheese Sandwich
It’s my 2nd Blogiversary and I’m having a “Yeah Toast!” party on facebook, so I thought I really ought to post a good toast recipe today to go with the theme of the party. Why toast? Well, besides that I love toast, on Friday, one of my work friends shared this song with me and I totally cracked up laughing. I decided that needed to be my theme for my Blogiversary party. If you haven’t seen it, go watch it … it’s just ridiculous and funny: Yeah Toast! video
Also, I’ve been swimming in mulberries for the past week or two and I am totally basking in berry-love. I’ve made loads of berry things and I still just can’t get enough of them. When I first went out to pick mulberries, I picked a 5 gallon bucket full of berries. And then again the 2nd time. And on the third time, not quite as many. But now they are slowing down. There are still berries ripening, but I only get a couple cups from the whole tree each time I pick. Sigh. I seem to never tire of these beautiful berries and I always get sad when the season is over.
So the other night I got home from yoga and I was HUNGRY and I was craving a grilled cheese sandwich. I’d been toying with the idea of a berry grilled cheese sandwich so I decided to give it a go. And yes, it works! It’s a little tricky trying to keep the lil berries INSIDE the toastey sandwich, but I just munched on the ones that fell out and that made me happy too.
By the way, I want to mention very soon I’m going to have my first ever giveaway and it’s going to be a good one! I really didn’t want to trouble with giveaways in general … I hope that you are here because you love the recipes, not because you’re looking for something free, but this one I just couldn’t resist. Keep watching … I can’t wait to tell you about it!
- 2 thin slices of whole grain bread
- Light or regular butter, softened
- Several slices of Swiss cheese
- A few arugula or spinach leaves
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Fresh mulberries, blackberries or raspberries
- Berry jam (optional)
- Blue cheese (or goat cheese) crumbles
- Spread one side of bread with butter and set on your frying pan on the stove. Add a layer of Swiss cheese, then a bit of arugula or spinach, a few thin slices of red onion, and as many berries as you can fit on the bread. Now sprinkle with blue cheese.
- If using, spread the inside of the top piece of bread with jam and set it on top of the sandwich. Spread the top with butter.
- Now heat the pan to medium and reduce to medium low, covering the pan very loosely while it's cooking. When the swiss cheese looks melted and the bottom of the lower piece of bread looks nicely brown and toasty, carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula, cover loosely and let cook again until the other side of the sandwich is perfectly toasted.
- Remove and serve immediately, with fresh berries on the side.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.