Tomato Egg Cilantro Pesto Breakfast Wrap
This is a simple, tasty breakfast that was born one morning when my daughter decided not to eat the egg I’d made her for breakfast. I was hungry and thought, “fine, then, I’ll eat it!”
So I chopped and roasted a few cherry tomatoes, got out my Cilantro Almond Pesto, spread it on a spinach wrap, and then wrapped up the egg and cherry tomato. I put my little breakfast wrap in a cloth napkin, grabbed a plate and took it to work with me. I reheated it in the microwave, which wasn’t ideal, but it sufficed.
I made it again for breakfast last Sunday, except this time there was no microwave involved, and I added a bit of feta cheese. Some people might be surprised by this, but I think this wrap is actually better without the cheese. If you try it, let me know which version you prefer.
- 1 egg
- Half of a large spinach wrap (or tortilla)
- Cilantro almond pesto, to spread on the wrap (recipe here)
- 4 - 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- A light sprinkle of feta cheese (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 Tablespoon of water. Add a sprinkle of Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) and some freshly ground pepper and whisk a little more.
- Set the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 5 minutes or until they are nicely roasted, but still hold their shape. (Alternatively, you can "fry" the tomatoes with the egg.)
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and lightly butter or spray with cooking spray. When the pan is hot, pour the egg into the pan, let it start to set, then scramble it about with a spatula till the egg is mostly cooked. (The egg will finish cooking even after you remove it from the pan.)
- Remove the egg from the pan and warm the tortilla on the same pan (or heat the tortilla in the microwave for a few seconds).
- Set the tortilla on a plate, spread with cilantro pesto, then add the tomatoes and egg in a column down the center. Sprinkle with feta cheese (if desired), then roll up the tortilla and enjoy!