Triple Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
These are everything you want in a dark decadent, super chocolatey muffin, plus some hidden healthy stuff. You cannot taste the zucchini. Seriously. You won’t notice it’s there … (except your body will thank you for eating veggies). And there’s whole wheat flour … and a little flaxmeal … and yogurt. This is starting to sound like some uber-healthy breakfast, right? But then there’s chocolate in triplicate. Because one form of chocolate just isn’t enough for this little chocoholic. And in my book, chocolate is health food in its own right.
We’re going camping. I took 3 days off work … it was supposed to be one day of getting ready, one day of driving to get daughter from her faraway friend’s house, and then straight to camping. We sluffed off and took an extra night to relax and get ready. So what do you think I did? I cooked more food. I have WAY too much food now … I hope everyone is very hungry.
Even though I already had a cake made, I HAD to have something dark and decadent and chocolatey to bring along. I mean, s’mores are just not enough chocolate for me (too much marshmallow interfering with my chocolate!) So I took my decadent dark chocolate zucchini bread recipe and I made it into muffins. Lots of muffins. So many muffins I had to take some to a friend’s house because I know our little troop of campers will never be able to eat all these. I mean, my mom doesn’t even LIKE chocolate! (Is she really my mother?)
Don’t worry, even after I ate a couple and gave a few away, we still have plenty to take camping. The recipe makes a full two dozen muffins. Enough for you to satisfy your own chocolate craving, then share some with your chocolate-loving friends and have them all loving you forever and ever and ever after.
Okay, now I really must go pack up the camping gear. And the cooler! Happy weekend my foodie friends.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
- 2 1-oz. unsweetened baking chocolate squares, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 12-count muffin tins with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, yogurt, zucchini, and vanilla. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir to mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter amongst the muffin spots, filling each one about 2/3 - 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for about 25 - 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a large muffin comes out clean (no batter stuck to it).
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Here’s a closeup so you can see the perfect texture of these babies: