Vanilla Yogurt Scones
Crunchy raw sugar coating on a tender, perfectly moist yet dry scone made with vanilla yogurt. They are quite simple to make, too–I’ve simplified the recipe to the bare bones required for a perfect scone.
Every time I make scones, my son asks me to make him “plain vanilla” scones. I always resist, saying “why don’t you want berries ?!?” (or whatever it is I’m putting in my scones that day), but he insists on vanilla scones. So I typically divide the batter, making half of it into the fruity scones that my daughter and I love, and half into his beloved vanilla scones.
Well, one day he caught me on an off moment and asked for scones. I agreed to make him scones, but I didn’t feel like (or have the time for) dividing the batter like I normally do, so I made an entire batch of vanilla scones. And then, I tried one … and I was surprised to discover they are wonderful! “See, Mom, I told you!” my son responded … all right, I have to admit, I was wrong. My vanilla scones are marvelous.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into little pieces
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in sugar.
- Add the little pieces of butter and work it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or your fingers until the butter chunks are all broken down and the mixture resembles a coarse meal. (I use my fingers–it’s messy, but fun!)
- In a separate smaller bowl combine the egg, yogurt and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix until just blended (dough will be soft and wet).
- Directly in the bowl, knead the dough lightly 3-4 times. Directly on the baking sheet, pat or roll the dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into wedges. Sprinkle scones with the coarse sugar. Bake scones for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle. Cut them again when they are done, separate and serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.