Cashew Shrimp Cauli-Fried Rice
A delightful cauliflower fried rice recipe with mushrooms, shrimp and cashews. Low in carbs and high in flavor, this dish delivers lots of flavor without a lot of calories. If you’re trying to lose weight, this healthy delicious dish will help get you there — if you’re trying to maintain your weight, add this light dish in periodically to help balance out the heavier meals and keep you where you want to be.
2016 was the year I went on my “health kick” and decided to lose 20 lb. I exercised (a lot!), I learned to eat and get nutrients for my body while keeping the calorie count down, I tried lots of strategies and I’m so grateful it all worked. 2016 was also the year when I first tried making cauliflower rice … and that was a revelation. If you have a food processor, it’s so easy to make! Just put the cauliflower in and pulse pulse a few times and it’s rice. Tada!
I really loved the vegetable version of this cauliflower fried rice that I made way back in 2016 (it seems like so long ago …), but when I made that fried “rice”, I really felt this urge to add shrimp and peanuts. Well, I’ve since decided that shrimp and CASHEWS are the thing, so I tried it, and yes, wow, it’s the bomb. Even if you’re not on a “health kick”, you’re going to love this dish. It’s so freaking good. I fed some to my friend who has been doing the remodeling in my bathroom and she confessed she doesn’t like mushrooms, but she wolfed it down, with many compliments. Oh how I love that lady. We are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but we still respect and support each other. As it should be.
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (for GF, use gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 Tablespoon hot sesame oil
- 6 - 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 8 oz. frozen cooked shrimp, thawed and chopped into chunks
- 1 green onion, snipped
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons roasted, salted cashews
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Break the cauliflower into florets and put in a food processor. Pulse several times until the little bits are about the size of rice. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok (or saute pan) over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Stir and cook for a few minutes, then cover for a few minutes, then stir and cook until the mushrooms are tender and the onion is soft and translucent. Stir in the carrots and peas and saute for a few minutes longer, then add the cauliflower. and stir to mix. Cook a couple minutes longer, until the cauliflower is crisp tender.
- Push the veggies aside and add the eggs to the empty side of the wok. Scramble the eggs, then stir to incorporate them into the veggie mixture. Stir in the shrimp. Pour the sauce over top and stir to mix. Cook for a minute or two longer until the cauliflower "rice" is nice and tender and the shrimp is warm.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onion and cashews. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2017, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.