Chicken Avocado Salad
with mushrooms, blue cheese (or feta), red onion, matchstick carrots, toasted almonds and a creamy herb avocado dressing
My sister went to California last month … and she came home with some fresh avocados that she had picked from her friend’s tree. She gave me three of them. They were hard when she gave them to me, but in just a few days, I found they were wonderfully soft and ready.
I knew I needed to make at least one salad with my lovely California avocados … I meant to make it a salmon salad, but I had chicken nuggets in the fridge that my kids didn’t eat. So I heated up a couple of them and then started looking for things to put on my salad.
I found fresh mushrooms in my fridge, and red onion … matchstick carrots which are great for adding crunch and a few toasted almonds. Oh and some blue cheese crumbles. Those are so nice on a savory salad.
I made a nice creamy herb avocado dressing to top it off. It was a very satisfying salad for a hungry gym rat girl. Lately I’m spending so much of my time either at yoga or swimming … and I do both on weekends. I even took Friday morning off one day to do yoga and then swim … and it felt so awesome that I decided I need to do that more often. One of my yoga friends today remarked on how “buff” my arms look. Yeah, when you quadruple your exercise efforts, your arms do get stronger — my legs too! I’ve lost 9 lb. since I started this crazy fitness kick. I can see the difference when I look in the mirror and every time I work out and I’m proud of myself for figuring out how to make this happen … and for sticking to it long enough to see a difference. Every time I find myself getting sad or angry or stressed, I go find the pool and I let the water have all my anger, all my doubts, all my fear … and when I climb out of that pool, my spirits are lifted and my body and my soul feel stronger.
- 1/2 of a large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 Tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh herbs (I used a few basil leaves, a small sprig of rosemary, and a bit of fresh dill)
- Mixed greens
- Chopped, cooked chicken (~ 4 nuggets, 2 strips or 1 chicken breast)
- 1/4 of an avocado, sliced or chopped
- Red onion, sliced thin
- A few fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Small handful of matchstick carrots
- A Tablespoon or two of sliced almonds, toasted
- A bit of blue cheese or feta, crumbled
- Prepare the dressing by putting all ingredients in a handi chopper or mini food processor until smooth. Adjust the amount of herbs to taste.
- For the salad: fill your bowl/plate with greens. Top with chopped chicken, avocado, mushrooms, carrots, almonds, and crumbled blue cheese or feta. Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.