Creamy Dubliner Ham & Veggie Bisque
This soup has it all! All that creamy, cheesy goodness from a Broccoli Cheese Soup, with that oh-so-intoxicating ham broth, bits of ham and lots of other veggies to really let the flavors shine (and support your health too!)
Yes, I know it’s spring and today it’s beautiful and sunny, but just a few days ago it was chilly and rainy and I was chilled to the bone! I found myself wanting nothing but a hot, cheesy, comforting soup … and remembering I had ham broth in my fridge and a bit of leftover Easter ham, I decided I needed a super creamy cheesy ham soup, teeming with veggies to support my health and my new eat-more-vegetables initiative.
It is thick with veggies, so if you’re not a veggie lover, you can puree some of the soup so that they aren’t so in-your-face, but I loved it just like this, with a variety of veggies happily shining their colorful faces up at me in every single bite. I shared some with my yoga friends and I hope, hope, hope that they loved it as much as I do because I totally could have eaten this soup for lunch every day for a week or more. It might have been the dampness that brought the chill to the air, or perhaps it was the Dubliner cheese that did the magic, but I was entranced by this soup. Serve with some hot fresh bread or biscuits for a hearty, healthy, comforting meal.
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 2 cups ham broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of a large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 sweet mini peppers, tops removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour (for a gluten free option, try tapioca flour)
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup ham, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Dubliner cheese
- In a medium saucepan, add the shopped potato, ham broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 - 15 minutes until the potato is super tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate saucepan (or soup pot), melt the butter over medium heat, then add the celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent and very tender, then add the peppers and saute a little longer until the peppers are tender. Add the olive oil, then stir in the flour and mix well, so all the veggies are coated in flour.
- Add the milk to the veggie mixture, then stir and cook until the mixture is thickened. Stir in the potatoes and ham broth and cook for a couple minutes to blend the two soups. Things should still be nice and thick. If too thick, add a bit of milk at a time until it's to your liking.
- Stir in the broccoli and ham, then add the cheese and cook a couple more minutes until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with Red Robin Seasoning (or salt) and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve hot with a bit more shredded cheese and some chopped ham on top.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.