Creamy Mushroom Soup
A simple mushroom soup that’s wonderfully creamy and delightful and warm.
I had an “aha” moment when I made my Bacon Mushroom Baked Potato Soup … at the point where I had puree’d the mushrooms & onions and such, before I added the potato and milk, that right there was a mighty tasty creamy-wonderful thing. I could have stopped right there and had creamy mushroom bliss.
But I didn’t. I had already baked the potatoes so I went on with my plan, thinking I really must come back to this sometime to make a simple, dreamy mushroom soup. There’s a bonus for those of you who are gluten free as there is no flour for thickener–the vegies and cream cheese are what makes it thick. Add a bit of milk if it’s too thick for your tastes.
- 2 teaspoons bacon fat or olive oil
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 - 2 small bay leaves
- 4 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon fat or olive oil, then the mushrooms, onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Saute for several minutes or until the onion is soft & translucent.
- Add the broth and bay leaf, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 10 - 15 minutes or until all the veggies are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and pour the soup into a blender. Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth. Add a bit of milk, if desired, if the soup is too thick. Add salt & fresh ground pepper to taste.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Weekend Potluck, Munching Monday, Lenten Linkup Monday, Simple Supper Tuesday, Treasure Box Tuesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday , Wednesday Roundup, The Gathering Spot and Hearth & Soul Bloghop.