Easy Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza Bites
I came home from work hungry the other night with a whole evening in front of me to work on the garden produce. The first thing I pulled out of my fridge was a rather large zucchini. It wasn’t one of those gargantuan sized ones that you could use for a baseball bat, but it wasn’t one of the tiny ones you see at the grocery store either. I cut into it and it wasn’t all full of big seeds in the middle and the idea struck me that some slices of this zucchini would be PERFECT as a pizza crust. And how opportune! Here I am with an urgent hunger in my belly and a quick, easy, healthy dinner idea sitting right in front of me.
I sliced off some slices, got out the pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese and made me up some cute little zucchini pepperoni pizzas! Oh they looked so good hot out of the oven–it was so hard not to grab and munch them right down, but I did manage to hold myself back until I got a few shots of them. The zucchini is juicy, so you’re either going to want to eat them with a fork or have a napkin handy nearby, but it’s really such a tasty quick idea–soooooooooo much easier than those other gluten free veggie crusts that have to have all the water squeezed out of them before you can bake them.
Use a medium/large zucchini and cut the slices horizontally, about 1/2 inch thick, enough so that when cooked, they won’t be too flimsy to hold the toppings. (If your zucchini is smaller, you could always slice them lengthwise and make zucchini pizza boats instead.) Leave off the pepperoni if you want them meatless–or replace with Italian sausage or your favorite pizza toppings.
- 1 medium-large zucchini, cut horizontally into 1/2 inch slices
- Your favorite pizza sauce
- Your favorite shredded pizza cheeses
- Pepperoni slices, cut into strips
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set the zucchini slices on the baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes. Pull the baking sheet out of the oven.
- Flip the zucchini slices over. Spread each slice with a Tablespoon or two of pizza sauce, then put 2 Tablespoons or so of shredded cheese on each. Top with a few pepperoni slices.
- Bake at 400 for about 5 - 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.