Epically Creamy Jalapeno Queso
A super creamy Mexican queso dip that retains its gorgeous creamilicious texture even after reheating.
I know, I have posted several queso recipes on this blog already–queso is a long-standing love of mine and all those close to me, it seems. Whenever the family gets together, I can bring loads of marvelous dips that most everyone who tastes absolutely raves about, but with my family, they turn up their noses at all the other dips in favor of the queso. They’ll dig through the fridge to find the queso and munch on it day and night. What can I say? We seriously LOVE our queso!
I have become really sensitive to the texture of queso since my son is uber picky about it. I was determined to make a queso that would STAY creamy when you reheated it. I’ve been working on perfecting this recipe, which originally started as a Qdoba copycat recipe and morphed into something of my own making since the ingredients for the recipes I have found for the Qdoba recipe are unattainable.
I tried lots of different things over several months of queso-making, but it seemed like everything I tried was wonderful when I first made it, but the texture turned grainy when reheated. Finally, I called in the heavy cream and cream cheese. Not healthy, not light, but dang it, it makes a really super creamy queso–one that tastes like you ordered it at an incredible Mexican restaurant. The really great thing about it is when you make it at home, you get to make it exactly to your liking, controlling the heat by adding just the right amount of jalapeno. And oh, by the way, it costs less too.
Promise me you’ll make this queso for your next party. Your friends will love you.
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- 6 oz. Mexican quesadilla melting cheese, shredded (I used Queso Chihuahua)
- 4 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 - 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh jalapeno (to taste)
- 1 - 4 Tablespoons salsa (to taste)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender and translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the cream cheese, quesadilla cheese and pepper jack cheese along with 1/2 cup of the whipping cream. Stir until the cheeses melt, then stir in the chopped jalapeno and salsa. Taste and add more jalapeno and/or salsa for heat.
- If the dip is too thick for your liking, stir in some more whipping cream (or milk) until it is the desired consistency. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe
Just look at that creamy goodness … don’t you want to just dive into that bowl?