Ham & Cheddar Broccoli Tots
Slightly adapted from The Two Bite Club
I was smitten with this recipe from The Two Bite Club the first moment I set my eyes upon it. First of all, I adore broccoli. It is one of my very favorite vegetables. And then you add some tangy aged cheddar cheese and egg and make it all cute and bite-size and fun? Oh yes, this is MY kinda health food!
I tossed in some ham because, well, yeah, I still have some ham left over from Easter, and hey, these little bites would totally benefit from a bit of extra protein. I love the little bits of pink peeking through the green … it makes these little bite-size gems all the more appealing.
I used frozen broccoli which I think works even better than fresh because, hey, less cooking involved and way more foolproof! Just microwave to thaw, a quick spin in the food processor and you’re ready to make your tots. Also, with frozen broccoli it’s easier to avoid over-cooking the broccoli and achieving the perfect crisp-tender texture. I love these adorable little green bites and the fact that they fit so well in my new eat-more-veggies initiative. Who says eating your veggies has to be boring?
- About 1/2 lb. frozen broccoli
- 1 cup aged extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or, for gluten free, use GF breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1/2 of a medium onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a mini muffin tin generously with cooking spray.
- Put the broccoli in a medium mixing bowl and cover with a plate. Microwave on high for about 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until the broccoli is just thawed.
- Put the broccoli on a clean kitchen towel and squeeze the excess moisture out of it. Put it in the handi chopper or food processor and pulse to chop into small chunks. Pour the chopped broccoli back onto the kitchen towel and squeeze again.
- Put the broccoli back in the bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to mix well.
- Fill the mini muffin tin with this lovely mixture, pushing down on each one to squeeze the contents together well. Let them mound up a bit--it makes them even prettier.
- Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let them sit in the pan for about 10 minutes before attempting to remove them. Use a butter knife around the edges and to gently lift them from the muffin tin. Enjoy them while they're warm!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
If you don’t have a mini muffin tin in your kitchen, here are some options for you: